Sunday, August 1, 2010

Iron Thrones "The Wretched Sun" 2010

Artist: Iron Thrones
Album: "The Wretched Sun" (2010)
Genre: Progressive Metal

Myspace: Iron Thrones
Tracklist:
  1. Like A Moth To Flame
  2. Ever Flowing
  3. Against The Grain
  4. I Once Had The Crown
  5. Forever Glowing
  6. And The Sky Came Falling Down
Overall Sound: When I first heard Iron Thrones teaser trailer of "the wretched sun" I was immediately hooked. their sound encompasses many different things I enjoy about this genre more specifically the melody's within the songs. Although I am going to consider this as progressive metal, to me its very heavily post-metalish in many songs but I just do not think I can constitute it as being a post metal CD.The musicianship here is monumental and should be noted, however my only issue with this is album is the over compensation of the instruments at times that over-power the vocalist, but its a minor lapse within the CD so I will forget that all together.

Guitar: The guitar is somewhat Opeth-escque, sometimes extremely powerful in its approach and other times emotionally distressed, production is extremely incredible

Bass: Since I try to listen to all albums through head-phones to give it justice before being like "wheres the bass? there is no bass?" but "the wretched sun" has quite a bit of bass more particularly in the song "I Once had a crown" which at times could be considered elevator music.

Drums: I read somewhere, I believe it was on metalsucks.net that their drummer played for 9 hours or something for this album to be correct? or maybe practice I do not know, but he is pretty much perfect in this CD. Everything sounds really solid, specifically the kicks and the drums tuning(the drum skins I mean) seem to fit perfectly in the style at which they play which makes the musical experience all the more perfect.

Vocals/Lyrics: The Vocals are almost entirely growled, mid-ranged almost barked at times and also a few singing parts within the songs.From what I gather myself, the lyrics are based around possibly the legend of Icarus, they also have the theme of loss to my knowledge. My problem with this the clean sung parts in songs such as "Against the Grain" yet it seems almost poetic and again like Opeth just not the same caliber.

Overall Impression: Overall I have to say I am truly impressed, since A) I have never heard this band before and B) they're unsigned???? Which is surprising since their older album "Visions of Light" was released through Tribunal Records in NC, and I have never heard them? They also won the contest "Scions No Label Needed" through Metalinsider.net contest in order to get Promotional advice and one month of free recording. I hope they find a good label and i think "the wretched sun" was a step forward in a good direction for this band.

Killer Tracks: Like a Moth to Flame, I Once Had the Crown

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment