Thursday, July 14, 2011

Destroy Judas "Wake" 2011




 Artist: Destroy Judas

Album: Wake

Genre: Doom Metal/Post-Metal
 
Tracklist:

1.      Wake
2.      To The Sea
3.      Seek The End
4.      Drown

Last.fm: ”We come from a long list of different bands (Mindrot, Phobia, Eyes of Fire, Asunder, Lachrymose, Noctuary, Winterthrall, Deathevokation, Dystopia, Semtex Vest, Dead America, Crisis, etc…). We all have grown up together in OC and known each other (mostly) for a long time, and until I get something else interesting up here, this will have to do”

Overall Sound: Destroy Judas play Doom metal with slight Post-Metal and Sludge influences as well. By reading their bio one would assume a mix of Doom metal, Sludge, Grindcore among others. Either way they as a collective group tend to gravitate toward Doom metal which in no respect is a bad thing. I feel its best summed up that this band is a combination of like Isis (no way as good as them but similar) mixed with Neurosis and slight Opeth sound. The production is absolutely superb on this album compared to many I’ve listened to this year. I just recently heard about this band just by happening to see it on another blog I was reading.

Guitar:  Typical Doom/Post Metal guitar. Heavy as it could be I almost wish at times there were more moments of rawness and a deeper tone but either way I think it is safe to say that there really nothing to change with guitars.
Bass: My main issue with his album is the fact that the bass is there because you can hear it, but it is not high enough in the mix to match the intensity driven onslaught the Guitar and the Drums deliver. Although still the moments you need to feel it, you do.

Drums:  Another great addition that just correlates with the guitar in so many ways. The drumming in my opinion keeps this album alive.

Vocals/Lyrics: Isis meets Opeth? I think so but there are moments of almost clear vocals, on the opener “Wake”. By far though I think my favorite track Lyrically is “To the Sea” where the vocalist belts out “Is this all there is to life, constant set back, Endless dire, Search my heart to find desire, Only to Fall and Fail Again! Take me Back to the sea, Leave me Under the Sea”. Even though I enjoy the vocals I think they are too high in the mix of the album but im sure others would disagree with me. Oh well…..

Overall Impression: I truly enjoyed just laying here listening to this album but I feel this would be more useful during the winter months, much like Black metal is to set the mood and bleakness of reality. I recommend checking this album out on their Bandcamp, you can name your own price completely worth it trust me if you’re a Doom Metal fan it’s a definite must pick up.

Rating:  9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment