Monday, July 18, 2011

Torch Runner / Young and In The Way Split 2011




Artist:  Torch Runner/ Young and In The Way
Album: Split 2011 7”
Genre: Hardcore/Sludge/Crust

Facebook



Last.fm

Greensboro, NC

Torch Runner destroys

Fast blasts and destructive crust with ties to

unrelenting hardcore and black metal.
 
Tracklist:

1. Torch Runner- No Friend Of Mine
2. Torch Runner- Pulpit Plague
3. Young And in the Way- Rehash, Provenance, Death

Overall Sound:  Support NC Bands! Both Hailing from my home state! Simply put both bands are certifiably outstanding, although I have never seen Young and In The Way sadly, I can attest that Torch Runner is absolutely mind-boggling. Torch Runner’s Last.Fm states profoundly that “Torch Runner Destroys” and I agree. Onto Young and In The Way, I wish I had heard of them earlier because they as well are unrelenting musically much like Torch Runner is. Words to put this Split into perspective would definitely be things such as “Disheveled” and “Towering”

Guitar: absolutely punishing directly correlates in describing the guitar. Even though each band keeps their own characteristics I find that after listening to this roughly 5 times over that I tend to enjoy Torch Runner’s guitar work much better just purely because I think it sounds partially better than, Young and In The Way’s tone however their Tone isn’t one to be ignored by any means.

Bass:  Torch Runner’s Bassist is very much in the mix but I almost forgot at times he’s there but I think it is because of the guitar being mixed slightly high but not so ridiculous. As far as Young and In the Way go, the drums overshadow most of their bassist but the guitar also has a higher mix than I anticipated either but you can feel it.

Drums:  As expected Torch Runner’s drummer is amazing and Young and In The Way’s drummer is amazing. They execute their instrument within their respected genres perfectly but my only complaint is that at times Young and In The Way’s drums (particularly the Cymbals seem much to loud)

Vocals/Lyrics: As expected I feel that no flaw can be achieved by Torch Runner’s vocal department (that is of course unless Rob goes back to doing Lion/Positive-Hardcore vocals like way back when) but I hope not because I like the more rougher around the edges sound that Rob brings to Torch Runner since the Colony Ep. Young and In the Way’s vocalist reminds me of a mixture of the bands, Planks and Black Breath but I haven’t quite stamped my finger on it yet, at first though he sounded kind of like Trap Them’s vocalist but then I said that he was different from that but either way, Thumb’s way up for the vocals in the split!

Overall Impression:  i am truly impressed that I haven’t kept up with Torch Runner at all they’ve released “Locust Swarm” as well as this Split here recently. And as far as Young and In The Way goes I am looking forward to big things from them because I enjoyed this release but it really stunk that it was three songs long, but I don’t guess we’re listening to some Scott Hull grindcore act with 200000 songs on one CD. Either way this release is recommended for one because it is amazing and secondly you’ll enjoy every minute of it.

Rating:

Torch Runner 9.5/10

 Young and In The Way 8.5/10 (only for slight things that I’m sure will only get better) 
 




*ps, i definately need to see both bands soon*

No comments:

Post a Comment